Helper: The Gift of the Holy Spirit
Who is the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit is:
1. The Gift of God for you
Promised by the Father and the Son
2. The Presence of God with you
Just like Jesus, helping you
3. The Breath of God in you
Making you alive spiritually
Giving you power
To witness to your friends and neighbors
To love, forgive and give grace to others
To overcome temptation
Counseling and teaching you to do the right thing
Cleansing and forgiving you
The help of the Holy Spirit is just a breath away. We just need to breathe.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Lives
- Do you remember the first time you heard of/were taught about the Holy Spirit? What did you think?
- The Holy Spirit is sometimes referred to as the “missing person of the Trinity.” Why do you think this might be?
- Which person of the Trinity do you feel more comfortable with: Father, Son or Holy Spirit? Why?
- Tell of a time you sensed God’s power or presence in your life.
- Review point 3 from the sermon. Which of the three subpoints of how the Holy Spirit helps us by giving us power (witness, love, overcome) do you most need right now? Ask the Spirit to breathe his power in your life, helping you in that area.
- Practice “breathing in” the Spirit this week, paying attention to His presence in your life.
- Try starting each day this week by saying: “Holy Spirit, lead me today. I surrender to your loving leadership in my life. Breathe in me all I need.” Report to your group next week how it went.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Spirit-led Servant/Living Surrendered