When Jesus Challenges You
“It’s a stretch”
When Jesus challenges you, he tells the truth.
Following is hard
Following is not “fair”
The truth is, Jesus went first
The truth is freedom
- freedom from others
- freedom from ourselves
- freedom from fear
Following is dying so we can live.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Lives
- Our passage began with Jesus saying “I’m telling you the TRUTH.” As a group begin with a commitment to tell the truth today in your discussion.
- What was the most outrageous thing you wanted to be when you were a kid (astronaut, rock star, a professional tree tipper)?
- The word of God is alive and active! How did God’s word speak to you today? What are your first thoughts?
- Comparing ourselves to others is a killer? How have comparisons held you back from following Jesus?
- Our passage tells us that Peter TURNED and NOTICED John. Who or what is causing you to turn away from Jesus?
- Following is hard. Read Luke 9:23. Jesus requires us to deny ourselves, pick up our cross and follow him EVERY day. What are some ways this truth is evidenced in your life right now?
- It was stated that Following Jesus is not “fair”. Do you agree or disagree? Support your answer biblically.
- How is Jesus asking you to “stretch out your hands” and surrender your life today? What part, what dream, what issue is he calling to die so you can live?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Spirit-Led Servant/Living Surrendered