“Using the Bible Correctly”
2 Timothy 2:14-15
1. Reminders for helping God’s People
a. Be constructive not destructive with your words
b. Work hard so you won’t be ashamed
c. Use the Scriptures rightly not wrongly
2. Principles for handling God’s Word
a. Ask God for understanding and insight
b. Diligently examine the text
c. Compare translations that are accurate and readable
d. Look at the immediate and broader context
e. Identify the genre of literature
f. Note the historical and cultural background
g. One meaning, multiple applications
h. Teach towards application not just information
Accurate interpretation plus obedient application = life transformation
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Lives
1. Tell the group of your own experience or a story you’ve heard of wrongly handling a power tool.
2. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever had to work for? What type of effort did you give? How long did it take you to accomplish that goal?
3. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being “I have no idea” and 10 being “I have been trained and feel extremely confident,” how would you rate your own ability to handle God’s word? What can you do to get stronger in this area?
4. Which of the reminders that Paul sent to Timothy do you find most helpful?
- Be constructive not destructive with your words
- Work hard so you won’t be ashamed
- Use the Scriptures rightly not wrongly
5. Like Timothy, we want to correctly handle the Word of God (vs. 15). Which of the principles for handling God’s Word from the sermon were new to you? Which do you find the most helpful as you study the Word of God?
- Ask God for understanding and insight
- Diligently examine the text
- Compare translations that are accurate and readable
- Look at the immediate and broader context
- Identify the genre of literature
- Note the historical and cultural background
- One meaning, multiple applications
- Teach towards application not just information
6. The Bible talks about the power of the tongue in many different places, equating it with a tree of life on the one hand (Proverbs 15:4), and a consuming forest fire on the other (James 3:5-6). Can you remember a time when someone used the power of the tongue to build you up? Did they use the Word of God? Share one of these times with the group.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer