DISCIPLE: The Way of Discipleship
Learning from Jesus is the heart and soul of what it means to be his disciple.
How to learn from Jesus:
- Come to Him
Coming to Jesus is as simple as breathing a quick prayer of “Lord, I need you” or
“Lord, fill me with Your Holy Spirit.”
- Walk with Him
Learn to practice the presence of Jesus.
- Watch Him
- Ask Him
Jesus invites us to ask Him about anything.
- Practice with Him
As we follow Jesus, He will provide opportunities for us to practice what He’s
- Relax in Him
Resting in Jesus does not mean laying around doing nothing but feeling so secure
in Him that I am free from a frenzied striving to prove myself.
- Receive help from Him
Jesus promises to give us everything we need to follow Him.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Growing up, was school and learning something you loved or was it something you just tolerated?
- Does the idea of “learning from Jesus” cause you to feel excited and eager or a little intimidated and overwhelmed? Explain to your LifeGroup why you answered the way you did.
- Our world today is most definitely characterized by “frenzied striving:” to be better, to get more, to achieve, to succeed. In your daily life, how do you balance the importance of hard work with “resting in Jesus”?
- What was the last thing you “asked Jesus” for?
- Go around as a group and brainstorm some practical ways you could daily “practice the presence of Jesus.”
- What are 2 or 3 of the top skills you’d like to learn from Jesus? You can go to the website and pull up the sermon and then the sermon slides (they aren’t on the sermon notes, just the slides) to review a list of possible choices.
- Now pick one skill you’d like to learn from Jesus and share it with the group. Then pray for each other you will each learn and begin to practice that skill.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer/Loving God