The Christmas Gap
“The Peace Gap”
The peace gap is the time between when peace was announced and when it was experienced in people’s lives.
1. The peace with God gap
- being separated from God because of our sin
- gap is closed as we receive the gift of salvation
2. The peace within you gap
- feeling overwhelmed by fears, worries and anxieties
- gap is closed through walking in a discipleship relationship with Jesus, developing the fruit of the Spirit
3. The peace with others gap
- the discord and conflict between you and another person
- gap is closed as we do the hard work of peacemaking in relationships
- The peace the angels announced only comes through Jesus, the One who is making all things new!
- When you hear the phrase “peace on earth” what is the first thing you think of?
- Do you have experience closing all 3 of the peace gaps mentioned in the sermon? Which one would you say has been the most challenging? Why?
- Read Philippians 4:7 in as many different translations as you can (well, within reason). What kinds of distinctions do you see? What is most helpful to you in this verse (and/or the verses around it)?
- Why is closing the “peace with others gap” so difficult?
- Read Romans 12:18, 14:19 and Hebrews 12:14. What do you see in common between all of these verses?
- Do you need to go to someone who you are not at peace with and start the hard work of peacemaking? Are you willing to ask your group to hold you accountable so you don’t chicken out?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer/Loving God