How to Use the Bible
“The Greatest Misuse of the Bible”
2 Timothy 4:1-5
The greatest misuse of the Bible may be the failure to preach it.
1. What does it mean to “preach the word”?
a. Biblical examples of preaching: announce, tell, proclaim, herald
b. “preach”- to boldly communicate to others a message of great importance
• Includes but not limited to a “sermon”
c. “the word”- the message of Christ, the Gospel, God’s Word
d. “preach the word” means “boldly communicate the message of importance”
• applies to pastors and non-pastors
2. Why should you “boldly communicate the message of Christ”?
a. God has sent us and is always with us!
b. Jesus is coming back as King and Judge!
c. People need the truth!
3. How do you “boldly communicate the message of Christ”?
a. with eager readiness
b. with loving patience and persistence
c. with appropriate correction, rebuke and encouragement
d. with teaching and explaining
4. While you’re “boldly communicating the message of Christ…”
a. don’t get discouraged or reactionary
b. endure hardship
c. tell others about the Gospel
d. fulfill your purpose and ministry
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Your Life
- Read 2 Timothy 4:3-4. In our culture today, where do people go to find teachers or teachings that tell us what we want to hear, rather than “sound and wholesome teaching?”
- Read Acts 8:1-4. Then review the way Pastor Jim defined “preaching the word” as “boldly communicating the message of Christ.” When you heard in the sermon that regular believers went out “preaching the word” and that you too can “boldly communicate the message of Christ” what did you think?
- Read 2 Timothy 4:1-2. How are you “prepared” to share the Word/the Gospel with others? What specific steps do you take to prepare yourself?
- Many Christians can go weeks, years or even their whole life without sharing the good news of Christ with others. Is this lack of opportunities or lack of preparation? What is a step you can take to begin to change?
- Challenge: What is one thing each of you can do this week to “preach the word”? How can you lovingly hold each other accountable to do that?
- Read 2 Timothy 4:5. Have you ever thought of yourself as needing to fulfill a ministry? You have work to do…what is it?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Trustworthy Steward of God’s Resources/Living Surrendered