“The Foolishness of God”
1 Corinthians 1:18-25
What you do with the cross determines your destiny.
The cross is foolishness:
- if you see it as a good luck charm.
- if you see it as a tragic death.
- if Jesus has not been resurrected.
So people stumble over the cross.
But because Jesus HAS BEEN resurrected,
The cross is full of God’s power:
- to save you.
- to forgive you.
- to fill you with His love and strength.
- to give you new life.
The message of the cross is:
- Jesus died so we could be forgiven
- Jesus was raised so we could have new life
Surrender your life to the Lord of the cross.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What’s the most foolish thing you’ve ever done?
- Is there anything you do in your life that might be considered superstitious?
- When you see a baseball player make the sign of the cross, what do you think that means?
- What are ways that people treat the cross as more superstition and religious artifact than a reminder of Jesus’ death? Have you ever done this?
- What would you say to a person who says “believing in the idea of a man’s death on the cross 2000 years ago somehow being for me is foolishness”?
- In the sermon, Pastor Jim said “Just as you don’t have a cross without both the vertical and horizontal pieces so you don’t have the message of the cross without both Jesus’s death AND resurrection.” Why is this so?