1 Cor. 12:1-7
A Servolution happens wherever people discover and start using their spiritual gifts.
1. What are Spiritual Gifts?
a. Gift vs. Gifts
• Gift of the Spirit-given so you can be saved
• Gifts of the Spirit- given so you can serve
b. Talents vs. Gifts
• Talents: natural abilities given at birth
• Gifts: spiritual abilities given at new birth
c. Fruit of the Spirit vs. Gifts of the Spirit
• Fruit: evidence of maturing relationship with God
• Gifts: abilities given regardless of maturity
Definition- A spiritual gift is a God-given ability enjoyed by every Christian to enable them to minister and serve to the glory of God as a part of the church of Christ.
2. How do they work?
a. What’s different
• different gifts, ministries, effects
b. What’s the same
• same source: Trinity
3. Why are they given?
a. to help and strengthen the church
b. to fulfill the mission of the church
What are you doing with the gift(s) God has given you?
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What is the best gift you’ve ever given to someone? What is the best gift you’ve ever received from someone?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:1 in several translations. Why is it important to be “informed” or to not be “ignorant” of spiritual gifts?
- Go around the room and read the main passages that list some of the spiritual gifts: 1 Cor. 12:7-11, 27-30; Rom. 12:3-8, Eph. 4:11-12.
- Give an example of someone who you believe is using their spiritual gifts, naming the particular gift or gifts you believe they may be using.
- Share what you think some of your gifts might be.
- If you haven’t already, go to www.opendoor.tv/servantprofile/ and take the time to take the assessments and fill out the forms.
- One of the roles of the body of Christ is to help each other confirm what spiritual gifts each of us may have. Go around the room and point out strengths in each other that may be spiritual gifts.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Spirit-led Servant/Living Surrendered