Shepherding from Rules to Relationship
Proverbs 22:6; Deuteronomy 6:1-25
Order Matters: Rules, Relationship, Based
Before we begin…
- Parenting our children is a biblical mandate that is an intentional process.
- The stakes are high.
- We want to know more about how to assist our children in becoming like Christ.
Rules- based Relationship
- Priority is in following the rules.
- blinded to the relationship
- Conduct Driven
Rebellion The younger brother experience…
Resentment The older brother experience
Rejection I never knew you…
Relationship based Rules
- Priority is in the relationship
- Recognize the rules are there for boundaries (Romans 6:1)
- Condition driven
- Results: Biblical Safeguards for my life (John 10:10)
Condition driven, Relationship-based parenting begins with the understanding of the big story of the Bible.
The Big Story of the Bible
- Creation: Perfection
- Fall: Corruption
- Redemption: Restoration
- Image of God: Our responsibility
How do we get them there?
Be relationally driven using a simple model of I do, We do, You do.
I do: Be an example…
- Of being a learner (Deut. 6:3)
- Of intentional living (Deut. 6:4)
- Of gratitude (Deut. 6:5,6)
We do: Intentional.
- Intentional conversations
- Intentional traditions
- Let them ask
- Answer relationally
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Is my walk with Christ conduct or condition driven?
- Are the members of my family seeing their walk with Christ through the lens of “rules” or “relationship?” What can I do to message better that Christ desires to be in relationship with us?
- What are the four words that share the big story of the Bible? Why are they important?
- What would be a life group verse that we can claim together?
- What is one thing that I will do to message my families purpose?
- What is one way that I can allow others to see my gratitude for God’s redemptive work in my life?
- Commit to reading with your family the Proverb that correlates to the date of the month. Ask your family the following question: What did I read today that changes the way I think and/or feel in order to become more like
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through Word and Prayer, Spirit-led Servant