2 Timothy 1:5-7, 3:14-17
With all the confusion surrounding motherhood, what’s a mother to do?
1. Remember the influence God has given you
Use your influence to cultivate sincere faith
Use your influence to make disciples
The work of mothering is the work of discipleship.
2. Refocus on the mission God has given you
To lovingly nurture your child
To faithfully teach your child
To diligently train your child
To thoroughly equip your child
3. Rely on the spirit God has given you
Lord, give me strength
Lord, fill me with love
Lord, give me wisdom
When you’re mothering you’re doing the work God gave you and He promises to help you through it.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Of all the things your mother did well, what did she do best?
- What does the phrase “the mother is the most influential person in society” mean? Do you agree or disagree?
- How would you counsel a Christian mother who says that housework and rearing children is not fulfilling?
- Acts 16:1-2 implies that Timothy’s dad had not yet come to Christ. How can a Christian mother with an unbelieving husband teach her kids to love their dad but not to follow his ways?
- Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17. How do you or can you use the Scriptures in your home to fulfill the mission God has given mothers (and fathers)?
- Which prayer under point 3 do you find yourself most often needing to pray? Which one do you need to pray today?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-Centered Love/Loving People