“Problems with Truth”
- We are tempted to stop following Jesus when:
7th Prob: we get offended.
- by the truth of hard teaching
- by the truth of Holy Spirit conviction
8th Prob: our sin gets exposed.
- When we obey our sinful desires we become slaves to sin.
- The truth that offends us is the truth that can free us.
- “Our sin has earned us death;”
frees us to receive the gift of grace.
- “Our good works aren’t enough;”
frees us from trying to be good enough.
- “Our righteousness is worth nothing;”
frees us from trying to be perfect.
- “There’s only one way to God;”
frees us from pursuing dead ends.
- “Our hearts are deceitful;”
frees us to give God our heart as is.
Lifegroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Have you ever heard a sermon where many people were offended but you weren’t, or vice versa, you were offended but others weren’t? Why do you think that was?
- When is the last time you were offended by the teaching of the Word of God?
- Read v. 34. Many people are offended by this verse, arguing “just because I sin doesn’t make me a slave to sin.” How would you respond?
- Pastor Jim said in the sermon: “The truth that offends us is the truth that can free us.” He gave five examples: Can you as a group come up with another one?
- What truths from this series #followprobs has been most impactful to you?
- As you look back on how you have followed Jesus, what has been your biggest stumbling block?
- Close your time in prayer for each other, that each of you will follow Jesus no matter what.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word & Prayer/Loving God