“Problems with Following Jesus”
John 8:12, 21-31
You can start following Jesus but not end up with Jesus.
1st Problem: Following Jesus out of mere curiosity.
Curiosity is vital but should lead to commitment.
2nd Problem: Following Jesus with a critical spirit.
Thinking critically is essential but judgmentalism is deadly.
3rd Problem: Following Jesus but not believing Jesus.
Jesus is God in the flesh, sent to earth by the Father.
Jesus lived a perfect, sinless life.
Jesus died on the cross for our sins.
Jesus was raised from the dead and ascended into heaven.
4th Problem: Following Jesus but not obeying Jesus.
We will never see Jesus in heaven if we don’t follow Him here on earth.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- We all have problems of different kinds. What kind of problems are you more inclined to talk to others about? What kind are you less inclined to talk about?
- What kinds of problems are you having following Jesus?
- How does one know if they have moved from following Jesus out of curiosity to following him out of commitment?
- Read John 8:24-28. How much do you need to know of who Jesus in order to get saved? How much of that knowledge can come later?
- What’s the difference between believing in Jesus and believing Jesus?
- What are the marks of someone who is following Jesus?
- Are these marks present in your life?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word & Prayer