“Problems with Becoming a Disciple”
Not everyone who begins to follow becomes a disciple.
A disciple follows Jesus, to learn from Jesus, in order to become like Jesus.
1. Why we stop following Jesus:
Problem 5: We get confused.
• We don’t understand what God is doing.
• We decide to stop following Jesus.
• We drift into not following Jesus.
Problem 6: We get disappointed.
• With God or with people
• Wrong expectations
• Wrong perspective
2. How to keep following Jesus:
a. Trust the character of Jesus
b. Obey the teaching of Jesus
c. Remain in the words of Jesus
d. Hang out with disciples of Jesus.
Jesus never called people to follow Him in isolation; we need each other to become more like Christ.
lifegroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to our Life
- Tell the group of a time when you didn’t understand what God was doing in your
- life. How did it end up?
- Review the 3 part meaning of disciple. Why are all 3 parts necessary?
- Which do you think is the greater cause of people who stop following Jesus: lack
- of understanding what Jesus wanted, or lack of obedience to what he said?
- When does lack of understanding become lack of trust?
- How has disappointment affected your following Jesus?
- What are some of the things that have caused you to back off from following
- closer to Jesus?
- Who do you know that you would like to invite to lifegroup with you? Invite them!
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word & Prayer/Loving God