“Learning to Serve”
1. We serve because Jesus served.
Self-Centered Servant- you only serve yourself.
Occasional Servant- you serve when it’s convenient.
Dutiful Servant- you serve regularly because it’s the right thing to do.
Christlike Servant- you serve as a lifestyle.
2. We serve out of a heart of gratitude.
Because Jesus died for us.
Because Jesus saved us.
Because Jesus loves us.
Christlike serving changes the world.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What do you think about when you hear the word “serve”? How about “servant”?
- Look at the opening words of each of the letters the Apostle Paul wrote in the New Testament. What do you notice about how Paul identifies himself? What word would you use to identify/describe yourself?
- Read Mark 10:45. Now read the context before it. What do you think about Jesus the Messiah and King saying he came to serve?
- Why is serving so important? Can serving really bring about a revolution? Is a servolution possible? What would it look like?
- We talked about gratitude being the best motivation from which to serve. What are some other motivations that people serve from?
- Look more closely at each of the serving stages under point 1. Which serving stage are you in? How could you take a step towards being more Christlike in your serving?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Spirit-led Servant/Living Surrendered