“Jesus Cares for the Broken”
1. Jesus teaches us how to treat people who are broken.
Her partner used her for sex.
The Pharisees used her for bait.
The people stood in silence.
Jesus cared for her soul.
Jesus showed grace.
Jesus spoke truth.
2. Jesus teaches us how to love full of grace and truth.
Grace without truth:
is weak and permissive.
masks as tolerance, but in fact is intolerant.
leads to confusion and chaos.
Truth without grace:
is harsh and oppressive.
masks as righteous, but in fact is self-righteous.
leads to judgment and hypocrisy.
3. Jesus teaches us that we are all broken.
He invites us to receive his love, full of grace and truth.
He calls us to give this love, full of grace and truth.
Jesus cares for the broken by becoming broken for us.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What sins are the most offensive to you?
- What is your gut reaction to people whose lifestyle is one you personally disapprove of?
- Can you give examples of grace w/o truth and truth w/o grace?
- Tell your group of a time you struggled with balancing grace and truth.
- Everyone tends to emphasize either grace OR truth; which way do you lean?
- How could you move closer towards loving FULL of grace and truth?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-Centered Love/Loving People