“How to Discipline”
Proverbs 22:6; 29:17, Heb. 12:11
1. Understanding Discipline
- It’s a part of training your kids
- It’s a part of discipling your kids
- It’s a part of loving your kids
2. Applying Discipline
- Express Authoritative Communication
a. Give calm, firm, clear directives
b. Set clear expectations
- Empower Ability to Choose
a. Your child can choose their behavior
b. Child must feel responsibility to make a change
c. Introduce circumstances that compel them to change
- Enforce Appropriate Consequences
a. Must be authoritative, calm, consistent
b. Must be impactful, age/stage specific, memorable
3. Appreciating Discipline
- Peaceful, healthy kids
- Leader now, friend later
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Your Life
- What discipline did you resent growing up that you appreciate now?
- Did you grow up in more of a permissive home or a harsh home?
- Which end of the spectrum do you tend to drift to today?
- How does understanding discipline as a part of “discipling” help you understand discipline?
- Of the 3 “fundamentals of discipline” under point 2 (Applying Discipline), which do you find hardest? Easiest? Why?
- Read Hebrews 12:1-13. How have these verses been lived out in your life?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-Centered Love/Loving People