“How does the Holy Spirit lead me?”
The Holy Spirit leads us:
1. Through Relationship
He is personal and relational.
He is speaking.
Hearing from God comes best out of loving intimacy with God.
He has a language.
We learn the language of the Spirit of God in the Word of God.
2. Through Scripture
Study the life of Jesus
Living full of the Spirit is essential to being led by the Spirit.
Structure your life around Scripture
Daily devotions, weekly worship
Read, study, meditate, memorize, pray, discuss, share
3. Through prayer
Develop listening space and listening skills
How do I know when it’s Holy Spirit speaking and not some other voice?
- The test of Scripture: Does it contradict the spirit/teaching of Scripture?
- The test of character: Is this consistent with the character of God?
- The test of wisdom: Does this sound wise?
- The test of clarity: How clear and consistent is the “voice”?
- The test of confirmation: What do godly people think?
- The test of experience: Obeying God’s voice helps us hear God’s voice.
We develop our relationship with God through Scripture, prayer and obedience.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Lives
- Tell of a time when you really wanted to hear from God regarding a decision but weren’t able to discern His voice. Describe your feelings.
- What stood out to most about what you learned in this sermon?
- Pastor Jim talked about how it can be hard to hear from God when we are not walking in intimate fellowship with Him. People treat God like an Answer Man, instead of someone to be in loving relationship with. Have you ever experienced this?
- What are some things that get in the way of hearing from God?
- Read Luke 8:4-18. Based on this parable, how well would you say you “hear”?
- What are one or two things you could do to structure your life around Scripture more effectively?
- What could you do personally to develop some “listening space” to more effectively listen to God?
- Have you ever engaged in “Bible roulette” (picking verses at random) when you were seeking direction or to hear from God? Do you think this is how God wants us to hear from Him? What are the dangers of “Bible Roulette”?
- Which of the six “tests” mentioned in point 3 do you tend to gravitate towards and almost use exclusively? Which one do you tend to avoid? What is the value in using multiple tests?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer