Helper: The Gift of the Holy Spirit
“How does the Holy Spirit help me?”
The Holy Spirit leads us into the truth:
1. Revealing to us our sin and our need for Christ.
Breathe out: “I surrender; forgive me.”
Breathe in: “Breathe into me forgiveness.”
2. Regenerating us when we surrender to Christ.
Breathe out: “I surrender; save me.”
Breathe in: “Breathe into me new life.”
3. Reproducing within us the character of Christ.
Breathe out: “I surrender; fill me. ”
Breathe in: “Breathe into me Your presence.”
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Lives
- Why do you think there is so much confusion about the Holy Spirit?
- Read John 3:1-16. Why did Nicodemus (a religious leader) have such a hard time understanding what Jesus was talking about?
- Compare John 3:6 with 2 Cor. 5:17. How do these 2 verses fit together?
- Pastor Jim referred to a “continuum of life” during the sermon. Where are you on that continuum? Explain.
- If you are willing, tell your group of a time you sensed the Holy Spirit revealing a sin in your life.
- As a LifeGroup spend some time compiling some questions for next week’s Facebook Live Q&A on the Holy Spirit. These may be questions you personally have or your LifeGroup has or perhaps some common questions others might have. (LifeGroup leader, please send these to Pastor@opendoor.tv. Thank you.)
- Practice “breathing in” the Spirit this week, paying attention to His presence in your life.
- Try starting each day this week by saying: “Holy Spirit, lead me today. I surrender to your loving leadership in my life.” Report to your group next week how it went.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Spirit-led Servant/Living Surrendered