“Friends That Help Us Finish Strong”
2 Timothy 4:9-21
“The only way to have a friend is to be one.”
Five kinds of friends to help us finish strong:
1. Sticky Friends
Friends who refuse to give up on you even when you feel like giving up on you.
2. Helpful Friends
Friends who you can count on to help you in your time of need.
3. Ministry Friends
Friends with whom you have seen God do great things.
4. Encouraging Friends
Friends who refresh you, lift you up, and strengthen you.
5. Intimate Friends
Friends who know us better and love us more than any one else.
You can make these kinds of friends in the 3 ways Paul did:
1. Do discipleship together: Join a Discipleship Intensive Group (DIG)
2. Share life together: Join a LifeGroup
3. Do ministry together: Join a ministry team
God wants us to run the race and finish the race…together.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Your Life
- Did you have a best friend growing up? Are you still in touch with any of the “best friends” you had growing up?
- Review the Five kinds of Friends that help us finish strong. Do you have a friend that fits one of those categories or perhaps two friends that represent two of the categories? Three? Four? Five? Name them.
- Take the time to think through the names in the previous question. What about them impacted you the most?
- Ever been deserted by someone? Have you dealt with the hurt or just carried it with you? Share, open up and allow your group to help you in the healing. How can you take positive steps to heal or maybe even reconcile?
- How is your life and friendship helping someone else finish strong?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-centered Love/Loving People