“Courage to Love”
2 Timothy 1:7
1. The Presence of Fear:
- is real
- is powerful
- is overcome by courage
Courage isn’t something you feel, it’s something you choose.
2. The Power of Fear:
- paralyzes us so we shut down
- poisons us and ruins our relationships
- pollutes our thinking and decision making
3. The Presence of God’s Spirit:
- fills us and gives us power to love
- fills our hearts with His love
- fills us and gives us wisdom to know how to love
God fills us with His Spirit but we must courageously choose to cooperate with His Spirit to love no matter what.
Build your life upon the love of God and you will find the courage to love.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What’s your earliest memory of encountering fear? Was it a dream, a movie, an experience? Share the story.
- Which example of how the power of fear effects us (paralyzes, poisons, pollutes) do you most struggle with?
- What is a situation in your life currently where you need the power promised in God’s Word? How might cooperating with the Spirit change your situation?
- Are you known for being a person who loves people? Would those who know you (neighbors, co-workers, family, facebook) say you have a Spirit of love? If not, what needs to change?
- Paul shares powerful truths here with young Timothy. Has anyone ever done that for you? Do you need to come along someone younger and encourage them?
- Which of the 3 gifts of God’s Spirit (from point 3) do you need most right now?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-Centered Love/Loving People