Freedom: Discovering Your Identity in Christ
- The truth that sets us free gives us new identity.
I am blessed. God’s extravagant favor is upon me.
- Discovering the truth about blessing:
Lie: I am blessed because of who I am.
Truth: I am blessed because God has blessed me.
Lie: I could never be blessed because of what I’ve done.
Truth: I am blessed IN CHRIST.
Lie: I have to earn my blessing.
Truth: God’s blessing is given not earned.
Lie: I am blessed for my sake.
Truth: I am blessed to be a blessing.
I am set free from the power of the lie.
I am set free to bless others.
- Living out the truth of a “blessed” life:
Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
You prove your blessing by how you give.
- Discovering the purpose of a “blessed” life:
We’re blessed for the praise of God’s glory!
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- If you have been telling yourself “truth declarations” each morning (I am loved, forgiven, child of God, gifted, called, etc.), how is it going? What have you learned?
- Recount together as a group some of the blessings of God in our lives as believers.
- Read Ephesians 1:3-14. How many blessings can you count in these verses as a group due to being “in Christ”?
- Which of the four lies about blessing are you most inclined to believe?
- If Jesus said “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (which he did), why do most people still focus on “receiving” blessings rather than giving?
- We are blessed to be a blessing. What does that mean to you? Share about an instance or season in your life that prepared you to bless others.
- Close your group time by praying together that we as a church would live out our identity that we are “blessed to be a blessing.”
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Trustworthy Steward of God’s Resources/Living Surrendered